Disinfecting The Right Way

Most homeowners strive to maintain interior cleanliness. As the global Covid-19 pandemic continues to rage on, an appreciable percentage of such individuals place an even greater emphasis on issues like disinfection. That said, however, you want to be extra cautious not to expose yourself or loved ones to many of the harsh, abrasive chemicals often employed for such purposes.

The professionals at Handler Homes believe your home should be a place of safety and refuge. Therefore, we want to provide some instruction regarding safe disinfection practices.

It is important to understand the differences between cleaning and disinfecting. One major discrepancy centers on pathogen control. Cleaning involves the physical removal of microorganisms from surfaces and other locations. The disinfection process focuses on eradicating particles like viruses and bacteria.

Time-honored cleansing agents like soap and warm water are not effective disinfectants. Suitable products are those containing at least 60 percent alcohol, or a bleach concentration measured at anywhere from five to six percent. Even rubbing alcohol, which typically contains 68 to 72 percent alcohol solution will also prove worthy and not leave surfaces feeling sticky or grimy.

Unfortunately, however, when mixed, bleach and alcohol could be detrimental to your health. Combining bleach with seemingly innocuous preparations like vinegar can precipitate untoward upper respiratory symptoms, such as a coughing, nasal irritation, a scratchy throat and even more serious lung issues. When included in agents containing ammonia, bleach may result in potentially fatal events like explosions.

Ergo, you should exercise extreme caution when engaging in the cleansing process. If unsure how certain chemicals will react, you are implored to play it safe and seek other alternatives.

Additionally, the cleaning materials could taint the foods you consume. For example, produce products left on counter tops remediated with said chemicals can seep into a fruit or vegetable's skin. Should such items be eaten, you might experience physical manifestations like dizziness, nausea, and vomiting. If prodigious enough amounts were ingested, your risk of serious complications like internal bleeding and death increases.

You might also believe the impact of alcohol or bleach-laden cleansers is immediate. Unfortunately, this is not usually the case. Said agents need time to permeate a surface to produce the most favorable results.

By adhering to the preceding suggestions, you stand a better chance of ensuring your cleaning and disinfecting efforts yield positive outcomes.

By Handler Homes 8-23-2021