Things You Should Never Burn In Your Fireplace

At Handler Homes, our homes are designed with comfort in mind, and while a roaring fire adds a touch of elegance, it's essential to be mindful of what fuels those flames. Join us as we share insights into what you should never burn in your fireplace to ensure a safe and delightful experience.

Say No to Green Wood

We understand the allure of freshly cut wood for that authentic fireplace ambiance. However, burning green or unseasoned wood can lead to excessive smoke, poor combustion, and a buildup of creosote in your chimney. Look for seasoned firewood to ensure efficient burning and reduce the risk of chimney fires.

Beware of Treated Wood

Treated or painted wood may contain harmful chemicals that release toxic fumes when burned. Avoid using any wood that has been treated, stained, or painted. Stick to natural, untreated firewood for a safer and more enjoyable fireside experience.

No Paper or Cardboard

While it may be tempting to throw in some old newspapers or cardboard boxes, resist the urge. Burning paper and cardboard can lead to quick and uncontrollable fires, posing a risk to your home and chimney. Instead, dispose of paper waste responsibly, away from the fireplace.

Steer Clear of Plastics and Styrofoam

In a similar vein, avoid burning plastics or Styrofoam in your fireplace. The release of harmful chemicals and noxious fumes is not only detrimental to your health but also compromises the air quality within your home.

Leave the Leaves Outside

As autumn leaves fall, resist the temptation to use them as fireplace fodder. Burning leaves can lead to rapid, unpredictable fires and excessive smoke. Look instead to compost or mulch leaves as an eco-friendly alternative.

Ditch the Damp Materials

Moist or damp materials, including wet logs or wet cardboard, can hinder the combustion process, leading to smoky fires and increased creosote buildup. For this reason, it is wise to store firewood in a dry place to ensure a cozy, efficient fire.

Steer Clear of Trash and Debris

Your fireplace is not a disposal unit. Burning household trash or debris can release harmful substances into the air and compromise the safety of your home.

At Handler Homes, we believe in creating spaces that are not only beautiful but also safe. As you revel in the warmth of your fireplace this winter, remember these guidelines to ensure a cozy, hazard-free experience.

By Handler Homes 1-24-2024